Not long ago I read that a Trump supporter wondered why liberals and Democrats think Trump supporters are stupid?**
I don’t think Trump supporters are stupid, but I question their common sense because…
- The guy they support has owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people;
- has made it his business practice to stiff his creditors;
- has proudly bragged about his own history of sexual abuse;
- has made up stories about seeing Muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center;
- has bragged that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and his supporters wouldn’t care;
- has illustrated his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him;
- has mocked the disabled;
- has bragged that he doesn’t read books;
- has told his supporters to beat up protesters and he would hire attorneys;
- has told the people at one of his rallies to confiscate a man’s coat before throwing him out into the freezing cold;
- has often been unable to talk with foreign dignitaries without insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral win;
- has removed expertise from all layers of government in favor of people who make money by eliminating protections in the industries they’re supposed to be regulating;
- has continued to profit from his businesses, in part by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns;
- has started fights with every country from Canada to New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, “falling in love” with the dictator of North Korea;
- has said it was difficult to help Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria destroyed so much of that country because it was the middle of water;
- has separated children from their families and put them in cages, managed to lose track of 1500 kids and opened a tent city incarceration camp in the desert in Texas while claiming that those people are just “animals;”
- has curried favor with neo-Nazis and white supremacists while refusing to condemn them for their acts;
- has responded angrily in reference to the Central Park Five when they were compensated as innocent men convicted of a crime they didn’t commit, and he said they should still be in prison; and
- has laughed in your face through the thousand and one other manifestations of corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and contempt he shows not just for people like me, but also for you (yes, you Trump supporter) the working American voter… and yet you still show up grinning and wearing those MAGA hats while threatening to beat up anybody who doesn’t agree with you.
That doesn’t mean you’re stupid. It means you’re frustrated. It means you don’t know where else to turn. It means you feel out government has failed you. I feel that way, too. In fact, in the early days of Trump’s campaign, I thought he might make a decent President, that was until he started saying he wanted to make America great again. America is great. It doesn’t to be made great. It is the greatest country in the world today. I once considered moving to Italy. The place is crawling with history and art, and it’s so romantic. I also once thought about living in England. It’s also loaded with history and its various towns are so quaint looking with all those narrow curving streets. However, I could never leave this country. I could never leave the possibilities this country offers. I could never leave the beauty of its mountains, plains, and rivers with the golden beaches of the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and Pacific. I could never leave this country with New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Atlanta, Dallas, Boston, St. Louis and all the other cities, that offer so much strength and diversity. I could never leave this country with its thousands of small towns that have their own quaintness rivaling the narrow streets of Italy’s and England’s small towns. Mostly I could never leave because of the people here, the people like you who work so hard and diligently and know that this is a great country and that we are all blessed to be here.
That’s why I don’t understand how it is that people who are all good Americans are unable to see that Trump is using them. Just as a child uses his toys to help him act out his fantasies, Trump is using his supporters to help him with his fantasies. His fantasies are that he’s not just a great business person, a great deal maker, but that he is the greatest President of all time in what he believes was once a great country.
This is still a great country. This is not Russia. Russia might have once upon a time been a great country. Vladimir Putin wants Russia to be great again. The United States does not need to be made great again. It is great and if you don’t believe that, then maybe you are stupid.
**Thanks to Adam-Troy Castro. I took his original Facebook post, rewrote much of it and added my own thoughts.